By Adrian Pantonial
Can you imagine what this world would be like if there are no people who took the risk to fight for their ideologies and inventions? With the sacrifice of these few brave souls, many have benefited. What is life like without freedom or without internet, cellphones, and Facebook? “Fearsome” and “boring” are top adjectives to describe it.
Here are some reasons why we stay in our comfort zones and not try new things:
- Familiarity – Most of us find it hard adapting to new situations and relating to new people
- Fear – We’re afraid to make mistakes and their consequences
- Fad – Our loved ones are against our decision to take a particular risk
Some people, on the other hand, have these reasons why they do it:
- Necessity – Their situation calls for it or someone they love will benefit from this decision
- Adventure – Change of ambience and freaking bored with the old
- Pain – They are hurt and they want to prove other people that they’re wrong
The latest risk I took has something to do with change of routine and scenery. My former cohorts are not 100% sold out with my decision but I pressed on anyway.
I would not have met new friends and been to new places or experience the level of stability and happiness I have now had I not been bold to try it out.
Yes, taking risks may not be good for everybody every time but there are proper places, times and ways to do it.
“Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible.”-Claude Thomas Bissell
What kind of risk is calling out to you now?