By Adrian Pantonial
Starbucks, Figaro, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf are just few of the famous coffee shops I’ve been to so far where I enjoyed quality time with family and friends.
At the time I wrote the draft of this piece, it’s around 2am. I just got home from three hours of mere no non-sense, no holds barred talk with a friend which I concluded in prayer at Starbucks Araneta, Cubao.
With my goal to lighten up my friend’s logical and emotional turmoil, I braved the traffic and the pouring rain just to be there.
What makes me spend more money at coffee shops? Is it just to have a taste of luxury like what other people say or is it really a great hang-out place to unwind especially for non-alcoholic drinkers like me? As an “urban monk,” these are my simple reasons:
- Special coffee and drinks – They serve them hot or cold, with care and in style which you will not find elsewhere.
- Art everywhere – From the wall and furnishings color combinations, cups and glasses, tables, chairs and couches, creative lamps and reflected lights, coffee houses to me seem like a mini art gallery that’s why people love taking pictures while there.
- Delightful Music – I have not yet gone to a coffee house that’s tuned in to an FM radio station as their house music. The places I’ve been to and loved always played a special collection of acoustic, bossa or jazz tunes. Maybe it’s the music playing on the background that helps bring out exquisite and exotic talks and makes the open “soul-surgery” smooth and easy.
- Interesting Mix of People – I love people watching. I observe total strangers in their preferred drink, dessert, gadget, book, fashion sense, the way they talk, their set of friends all these show a glimpse on their personality and lifestyle.
- Magazines Galore – Private reading is allowed there unlike in some bookstores. I always take time to look at magazines whenever I go to these places to see photos of beautiful people, places and things. I study the way a photo is shot: its subject, angle, lights and all that.
- Long and Meaningful Conversations – It’s a place where I dissect a person’s life story and I get to bare my own soul to my listener/s. It’s where our relationship is taken to the next level because of the venue where we share our laughter and tears.
- Ideas and Dreams Factory – Coffee shops are some of my favorite places where I share my ideas and hopes openly and comfortably because of its ambience and the quality of talk that could happen in this cozy environment. It’s where great thinkers and talkers converge.
How about you? What brings you to coffee shops?